Evolution 101 Table of Contents
1. An introduction to evolution Evolution briefly defined and explained
2. The history of life: looking at the patterns How does evolution lead to the tree of life?
- The family tree
- Understanding phylogenies
- Building the tree
- Homologies and analogies
- Using the tree for classification
- Adding time to the tree
- How we know what happened when
- Important events in the history of life
3. Mechanisms: the processes of evolution How does evolution work?
- Descent with modification
- Mechanisms of change
- Genetic variation
- The causes of mutations
- Gene flow
- Sex and genetic shuffling
- Genetic drift
- Natural selection
- What about fitness?
- Sexual selection
- Artificial selection
- Misconceptions about natural selection
4. Microevolution How does evolution work on a small scale?
5. Speciation What are species anyway, and how do new ones evolve?
- Defining a species
- Defining speciation
- Causes of speciation
- Reproductive isolation
- Evidence for speciation
6. Macroevolution How does evolution work on a grand scale?
7. The big issues What are some of the big questions that evolutionary biologists are trying to answer?